News briefs for students, parents and professionals living, learning and teaching in the digital world
The fall leaves are beginning to turn color here in the Shenandoah Valley and we're all reminded of how blessed we are to live, teach and serve the public good in this community. This issue of the FRONTLINE brings us back to school and for October - National CyberSecurity Month. We live in a world full of risks. Digital risks are a part of our national and personal lives. I'll link some interesting videos on the topic of cyber security for starters.
We've got links on social media for teachers including Pinterest pages. Enjoy several "visual guide" graphics, teens and tweens information and finishing up with some "drama" thoughts and a special feature about 24/7 digital devices.
1. National Cyber Security Awareness Month 2014 - "As a nation, we face constant cyber threats against our critical infrastructure and economy. As individuals, cybersecurity risks can threaten our finances, identity, and privacy. " http://www.dhs.gov/national-cyber-security-awareness-month-2014
- Stay Safe Online's page for Security Awareness month http://www.staysafeonline.org/ncsam/
- Microsoft's page http://www.microsoft.com/security/resources/cybersecurity.aspx
- Even in Europe... it's Cyber Security Month http://cybersecuritymonth.eu/
- and the most recent data breach bank's page... http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/10/03/jpmorgan-chase-hack-breach-computer-security/16648943/
Snopes report: http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/flashlight.asp
While we're talking about cybersecurity... Passwords! Your best security is a strong password! "Your online password is 123456? Good luck with that" - Going the extra mile? This article is for you. http://www.omaha.com/money/your-online-password-is-good-luck-with-that/article_ff07d163-8248-58e5-86d9-d7370c12d560.html
3. A Great Guide on Teaching Students About Digital Footprint - "I deemed it imperative that I share with my fellow teachers and educators a guide I have worked on for the last couple of weeks. " http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2013/04/a-great-guide-on-teaching-students.html
4. A Design Your Digital Tattoo: Helping Students Build Their Digital Image - From the ISTE National Conference a seminar on "Digital Tattoo" ... a new term for describing digital footprints. http://youtu.be/Y1OKLLzuZso